Zephyrs Jazz presents: The Barney McAll Trio
The Windsong Pavilion
Four Winds, Barragga Bay (near Bermagui) NSW
2:00 pm Sunday 15 October, 2017
BOOK NOW or save the date
Don't miss this opportunity to see a truly great jazz pianist perform in the inspirational setting of the Windsong Pavilion.
‘McAll cast such a spell at the piano that he even created the illusion of bending notes.’ (Sydney Morning Herald)
We are delighted that our next concert will feature the exceptional, formerly New York-based Australian pianist Barney McAll. He will perform in a trio format with two other outstanding Australian musicians.
Barney McAll has been on our wish-list for years and, finally, the stars have aligned: he recently returned to live in Australia after nearly 20 years overseas; and, thanks to Four Winds, we now have access to an extraordinary handcrafted Shigeru Kawai grand piano in that wonderful performance space in the bush, the Windsong Pavilion.
About Barney McAll
Barney McAll is one of Australia’s most esteemed jazz musicians and one of the few who has also achieved distinction in that great global music metropolis, New York City. He is a Grammy-nominated, multi award-winning pianist, composer and ensemble leader and is an extraordinary performer and communicator. Here are some of his achievements:
- winner of the inaugural Australian National Jazz Award at Wangaratta in 1990, and of many other prestigious awards; nominated for a US Grammy award in 2007;
- has performed on over 100 recordings, released 11 acclaimed albums of his own compositions and written scores for several award-winning films;
- was invited from Australia to New York by Miles Davis alumni Gary Bartz to join his renowned Quartet;
- later joined other top US ensembles such as the Josh Roseman Unit, Fred Wesley and the JB’s (James Brown’s old band) and Kurt Rosenwinkel’s Heartcore;
- established his own influential ensembles – including the Cuban-infused M.O.D.A.S (‘Mother of Dreams and Secrets’), Sylent Running, GRAFT and Trio Feral – with some of New York’s top musicians; also recorded several influential albums with these groups;
- was musical director for vocalist and international sensation, Sia, from 2010 to 2012; and
- was awarded the prestigious Australia Council Fellowship for 2007-2008.
Barney returned to Australia in 2015 to take up the coveted ‘Peggy Glanville-Hicks composer residency’ in Sydney. This year-long award allowed him the freedom to compose a substantial new body of work and to team up with some old Australian musician mates. This in turn resulted in the wonderful 2015 album, ‘Mooroolbark’, recorded with his new band ASIO and going on to win a swag of Bell, ARIA, AIR and iTunes jazz awards. Following his year in Sydney he returned to the city of his youth, Melbourne.
For more detail on Barney’s background and projects, and to listen to samples of his music, visit his website. YouTube has a collection of his recordings here. And for his observations on his life in music, watch this interview.
The Barney McAll Trio will play two sessions of approximately 45 mins each. This will be followed by an opportunity to chat with other audience members and the musicians over drinks (which can be purchased from the bar) and snacks on the Windsong’s lawns.
Seating is limited in the Windsong and demand for this concert will be strong. To buy tickets click here. The first person to purchase a ticket will receive a signed Barney McAll CD at the concert.
The Zephyrs Jazz team looks forward to your joining us at the Windsong Pavilion on 15 October and to sharing the music with you once again. Click here for directions to the venue.
Our reinvigorated Facebook page
We have added new life to our Facebook page to share information about our concerts, artists and perspective on the wider world of jazz in Australia and beyond. If you are interested please 'like' us.
Some accolades for Barney
Barney is a special piano player with that certain heart and touch … He's a genuine musician, not just a skilled artist (Billy Harper, NY)
A sense of water is everywhere in Barney McAll's music … Rhythm is no longer a subdivision of time, but a flow that trickles or surges, spreads into pools or skips and jostles across bar-lines. (John Shand, The Age)
Now established on the intensely competitive New York jazz scene, he plays here with some of the city’s leading musicians. His music is utterly contemporary, McAll demonstrating throughout that he is a talented composer as well as gifted keyboardist. (Rolling Stone)
Artists accommodated by The Lagoon Accommodation